Yes, I said it and yes I am often jealous of others. If your like me and it really doesn't seem fair that other people can have such great things, read on. You too my friend have a problem with contentment.
Many people call what I have a problem of "keeping up with the Joneses"
I'm Jealous of
- How big of a house people have
- How people can afford to go on such fancy trips or afford fancy things
- How people can eat out all the time
- How many outfits some of my friends have
To put it simply I'm jealous of other peoples "Earthy treasures".
Think of it this way. What do you do when your favorite home decor magazine or furniture catalog arrives? You look at it, of course. You see all the things you could have if you are willing to pay the price. Now when you look around your home nothing is good enough. You want that curtain you saw on page 5 or that pair of shoes you saw in the target ad. You know you have something that works and meets your needs you just want something better.
It all has to do with contentment.
All though I am obedient to God about not buying in excess, in my heart I struggle with the things I am giving up. My hearts motives are not what they should be. How do I fix it?
- Again I confess and repent. I tell God about my longing and acknowledge that these things are wants not needs. Maybe one day God will surprise me with one of my longings. I'm still that kid who longs for something "good" for Christmas.
- I count my blessings. I know, I hate doing this too. I would rather complain about what I don't have than to come face to face with the fact of how blessed I am. Consider it training in righteousness.
- I consider those who have less.
- I close the catalog and toss them in the trash and clean my house a bit to make it feel more roomy.
- I try to remind myself "Treasures in Heaven" and again "Treasures in Heaven" and pray that God will help me work on my contentment and envy.
Matthew 19:21: Sell your possessions and give to those in need. This will store up treasure for you in heaven! And the purses of heaven never get old or develop holes. Your treasure will be safe; no thief can steal it and no moth can destroy it.What are you Jealous of?
Sign up to get a ONCE Daily Email with all my newest deals! Come join me on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Delicious, Tumblr and Google+.