Looking for things to keep your child and you entertained this summer? I know I do. The cost of Summer Camp is way too much for my wallet and my kids would get pretty bored just sitting around home.
Here are my tried and true ways to keep my kids busy and keeping my sanity.
- $1 movies or cheap kids movies in the summer: Regal, Cinemark, Carmike all have Kids Summer programs.
- Summer Reading Programs: TD Bank ($10), Barnes and Noble (Free Book)
- Kids Bowl Free: For just the cost of your shoes your kids can bowl a free game determined by participating location.
- Vacation Bible Schools: Check your local churches for dates and times. Works as free childcare as well and baby sitting for date nights for later VBS's.
- Swimming and Sprinklers: Many local pools have a non-member rate. Kids love sprinklers so this can be some really cheap fun. No sprinklers, let them help you wash the car.
- Camping: This is one of my favorite activities. I look for my local campgrounds through the National Park Service. They are usually cheaper than most private owned campgrounds.
- Forth of July Celebrations: Every year we pick one to go too. We usually only go for the Fireworks and choose one that has a playground to keep them entertained until start time.
- Hiking: Explore nature all around you, hike in the woods, view waterfalls and teach your kids about nature, most the time without spending anything. Pack a lunch like I did and make it a day trip. Find some of the local trails close to you.
- Visit the Smaller Zoo's: Most smaller zoo's cost much less to visit than the larger ones. You can usually check out 4 or 5 for the larger zoo's price.
- Playgrounds and Parks: These are my number one time filler. I look for one with lots of shade and plenty for the kids to do.
Check out Even More Brilliant Momma Ideas!